Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Topic: Earplugs or Bed = Rock

I have been having a hard time falling asleep in my new place. Every few minutes there is a noise similar to a bus or semi-truck stopping and then taking off again. I’ve also heard a few other strange loud noises. Last night I figured out what the noise was. I came home from the office around 10pm and realized that the construction going on next to my building was still in full swing. Evidently there are not noise regulations in Shanghai – or if there are they are not enforced. Question - Does anyone know how to say earplugs in Mandarin?

Along with the noise my bed is as hard as a rock. I have created my own solutions to this problem. I am opting to pile on warm pajamas so that I can sleep on top of the comforter. The extra ¼” of padding isn’t perfect but it does make it more tolerable. At least I’m not waking up multiple times a night due to pain in my back or hips.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

as an alternative to earplugs, have you thought about buying a white-noise machine? if you can't buy one in the stores there, maybe you could buy one on-line and have it shipped to you.