Thursday, July 24, 2008

Salad – I need Salad

I know I just posted but I had to get this one down as the experience just happened. I am really struggling to get in my 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. At the grocery store the fruit and vegetables simply lack appeal as most are very ripe and close to going bad (by US standards). Who wants to buy a bunch of bananas if you need to eat them all in 1.5 days for fear of them going bad? I hate mushy bananas. The only thing they are good for is making bread, but I can't do that as I don't have an oven.

I’ve also been advised to use caution with these items. I’m supposed to follow the rule if you can’t peel it, boil it don’t eat it. I’m not adhering 100% to this but I am being cautious.

Today I decided I’d opt to order a salad in for lunch. What a mistake! I ordered a plain Caesar salad from a “western” restaurant. The lettuce felt warm in my mouth and was very wilted and turning brown. The dressing was ok. I had hoped they would have supplement the salad with a few tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Instead it had pieces of hard boiled egg. I searched out the pieces of egg and ate those. I threw the rest away and headed to the lunch room to pop some microwave popcorn.

People cautioned that when in Shanghai I’d really crave meat – a decent steak, burger or chicken breast. I haven’t hit that point yet. I would give my left arm though for a decent salad.

Mmmmm, Cucumbers, field greens, carrots, tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette or how about a salad that is not really good for you but tastes great - like a cob salad or a blue cheese wedge salad.


P.S. Dad I love that you are reading my blog and posting comments!

No comments: