Sunday, July 6, 2008

Four Days - In Pictures

I start work tomorrow (Tuesday) and I suspect my picture taking will slow down. I wanted to share a few images with all of you and of course provide a few stories to go with them.

Intersections of Death with Sidewalk Art: The intersections in China are large and often involve more than two street intersecting. At times the lights can make sense (i.e. green man means walk) and at times they appear not to apply. These crazy intersections are often highlighted with what I’d call Sidewalk Art.

My Hotel: I’ll admit that my luggage takes up a lot of space in my hotel room. One issue is that I’m not fully unpacking as I move to a serviced apartment later this week. The accommodations so far are top notch – 5 star to be specific. Even the gym is good (Martin – you should be proud I have been working out)

Eating Adventure: Today I headed over to a local market that features pearls, clothing, etc. It was overwhelming. I realized that I am HORRIBLE at bargaining. I’ll have to work on that. I know if my sister was here she’d be getting crazy deals. There is a reason her nickname is “Rain Man.” I did make a few purchases. Leaving the market I felt successful and thought I’d push my luck. I tried my hand at a local restaurant. I ordered something called “French Chicken over Rice with Russian Soup.” With a description like that I wasn’t sure what to expect but it wasn’t half bad. I only ate a portion of it though – the plate of food was HUGE and only cost 36 RMB (including a Coke) that’s equal to roughly $5.30. By the way I did use the chopsticks. I didn't make to big of a mess.
p.s. I know my niece Cori was worried about what there is to eat in China. Please tell her that there would be lots for her to eat here - I am a few blocks away from a Pizza Hut, McDonalds and a Subway plus a Gelato(ice cream) store!

3 comments:

kris said...

Negotiate, negotiate, negoatiate! After all, if they won't sell it to you for the price you want to pay, you won't have to figure out how to get it into one of your overpacked suitcases!

P.S. I will let Cori know you have found a couple of food options for her. :)

Kathryn said...

the chicken dish looks good. you know my stomach is going to live vicariously through yours while you're in China.

kimpston said...

With all the walking you don't need to get to many workouts in. I would love to try that food out. I'm hungry from the picture. Glad you are doing well and good luck at work