I wish that there was such a thing as smell-o-vision because I’d love to share the smells of Shanghai with all of you.
Today I went out on a morning run and was impressed once again with all the different smells. They seem to change with each block.
Initially as I step out of the hotel I am hit with the typical smell of Shanghai; its one of mixed pollution (cars, busses, industry). Plus, at times it feels like even the heat can take on a smell.
I start off on my run – moving slowly along the streets. Within the first ½ mile I encounter an area with multiple food stands. The smells of these can truly make your stomach turn as you consider how unhealthy the food must be. Grease and cooking oil hang in air.
From there I continue straight and eventually come to a T in the road. I turn right at this point; in front of a big blue wall. I believe behind it is a river or some water source. The smell of stagnant polluted water greats me as I take the turn.
I continue my run and on a frequent basis am accosted by the smell of sewage seeping out into the city air from behind man-hole covers. As I cover more ground the neighborhoods begin to change; it appears that the average income decreases with every intersection I pass. By now my turn around point is fast approaching.
On these last few blocks, depending on the morning I may also get to smell feces. I assume that “pooper scooper” laws are not common here. Mixed in with the dogs, at this time in the morning you can even catch folks using the sidewalk as their restroom.
After smelling all of this I reach my turnaround point; 1.5 miles from the hotel. I swing around at the corner and cover the same route and all of the same smells on the way back to the hotel. Another 3 mile run completed.
With my run completed I sit outside in front of the hotel recognizing that at this point I myself am adding to the unique smells of Shanghai. I am contributing the sweaty, post workout smell to the mix.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Erika! Just today was able to catch up on your blog. Sounds like you are off on a big adventure. Between June and July I had 2 graduations, 4 trips to Jackson MS and the trip to Europe, so I'm a little behind on things. I really enjoyed reading about your experiences. One month down, 5 to go! Dayna
Post a Comment