Wednesday, July 23, 2008

HOLY S***

As I left the office today I debated about taking a taxi home. It was just so hot out. I had plans to work out at the hotel gym so I figured I’d be okay from an activity standpoint. However, waving down a taxi in rush hour can take some time.

I convinced myself to walk, figuring “it’d make me stronger – put hair on my chest” (I thank my dad for that saying). So I put my backpack on and headed off. Within 20 yards I was sweating profusely.

As I continued on my way I began to debate the pros and cons of taking a taxi on the way home.

Pro – I wouldn’t sweat….oh wait I mean glisten. Women are supposed to sweat*.
Con – In waiting for a taxi during rush hour I could sweat just as much as I would on a 25 minute walk home.

Pro – I wouldn’t get as many strange looks from fellow pedestrians. I’d likely only get one from the taxi driver.
Con – It would require me to spend another 11rmb in transportation cost making my total cost per day 22rmb.
Pro – I’ve spent 22rmb ($3 aprox) in more frivolous ways ….think of all the drinks I’ve bought at the Lodge back in Chicago.

Pro – Taxis here are typically air-conditioned
Con – By not walking I’d miss the health benefits. Walking is good for my health

Pro- I’d have more protection from cars, motorbikes in a taxi cab all of which are Volkswagons so I’m sure are fairly safe. I am sick of playing dodge the moving objects when crossing the street when I “supposedly” have the right of way.

Just as that lost Pro came to mind, within 200 feet of my hotel, I let out a scream as a moped nearly collided with a woman. The collision was literally two feet in front of me. If the driver of the moped had swerved a bit more I would have been taken out!

Holy S***, if that’s not a sign I don’t know what would be. I am taxi bound!
-
*Special Note: I’m thinking I need to chance my stance on glistening because there are days when it comes poring off my face just when I'm walking at a leisurely pace or standing at a corner (not moving) waiting for a light to change.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Erika,
Yes this is your dad & Carol trying to connect with you we are still having trouble with sprint 7 Com Cast,
Com cast said they are working on it as I erite this note. We are busy doing nothing as we are retired I think you realize that. As for weather no air on 80 degrees no hummidity
Love dad & Carol

kris said...

Wow....is that really my father online posting a comment on my sister's blog? Hard to believe the technology transitions happening in the family: from newspaper to fax (remember that one Erika?) to e-mail and now a blogger.

Stay Cool!