Friday, July 4, 2008

Knee How (Say it like it sounds)

Knee How means hello in China. As I have been in Shanghai for 12 hours I figured this was an appropriate salutation to use.

My flights yesterday were uneventful. They were just too long. I opted to fly NWA as all of my miles and status is with them versus taking a direct flight out of Chicago. Next time I am going direct. One benefit of flying NWA is that I used my miles to upgrade to Business Class. What a great way to travel.

I reached my hotel at about 10:30pm Shanghai time. I was literally exhausted as the person I sat next to advised me to try and stay up for as long as I could. Evidently the thought being it'd help with jet lag. I understood the concept...I'd be so tired when I reached the hotel that my body would have to sleep at least 6 hrs straight.

Unfortunately thats not how it worked out. I was up 3 times last night. Each time I was able to force myself back to sleep.

This morning I realized two important things as I got ready for the day:

1. Summer in Shanghai is hot AND humid -- today it is suppose to reach 40 degreese celsius (104 degrees farenheit). Add the high temp with a humidity that reminds me of Georgia and its not a good combo.
2. My hair is never going to look good while I am here -- it will always be frizzy due to the extreme humidity.

The second realization could work to my favor as it will mean that I can eliminate one step from my process of getting ready in the morning - why curl your hair if its just going to fall out in a matter of minutes?!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I miss you Erika! Take a ton of pictures while you're out there and post them on your site. Make sure to eat all the random Chinese food you can - and post pictures of the food you eat, too. (you know I love food more than anything else). I'm so excited for you and all the awesome things you're going to do out there!