Thursday, July 3, 2008

Leaving...on a jet plane....

I can't think of where the song comes from but I swear the line "leaving -- on a jet plane" is a lyric. Its appropriate as today I am getting on a plane to head to China. I should back up a bit though and talk about the events of yesterday.

At 2pm yesterday I received word that my visa had been approved. Rick and I headed downtown to pick it up. After that, I spent a crazy four hours packing, doing laundry, paying bills, etc. My moods were swinging every which way. At one moment I wanted to cry because of how much I knew I'd miss everyone to another moment where I wanted to hit my suitcase because I couldn't get it closed.

Eventually, the craziness subsided and we were able to head to dinner. Rick and I went to my second favorite restaurant in the city - Cordis Brothers. (I will be posting pictures later this week. So check back to this entry to get some visuals). The food and drinks at Cordis is great and so are all the employees. It also helps that Rick knows the owners. In fact we had meet up with John on Sunday at a local bar after our tappas dinner.

After a cocktail at the bar we sat down at the table and settled in for a great steak. Just as I was commenting that we didn't have menus our server came over and said "Here are our new summer menus for you to look at." I quickly looked down because I wasn't sure about the change. I worried that the wedge salad I had been thinking of all day would not be listed. As soon as I scanned the menu I had to laugh out loud. Sitting in front of me was a menu for a Chinese restaurant.

John, evidently had cooked up the plan for this as Rick and I had our pre-dinner drinks at the bar. It was got a good laugh for sure. He finished the joke out by handing us two fortune cookies for desert. The cookie went great with my Chocolate Ice Cream Martini.

The meal was wonderful. Cordis never fails to deliver. It was a perfect last night in Chicago. Afterwards I headed home to a night of fitful sleep. I wonder why !?!?

This morning Rick and I trekked to the airport. Two huge suitcases and a couple of carry on items (small roller bag and my laptop bag). Also in tow was an empty duffel. I thought that for China I was allowed a third bag and if I was I was going to put it to use by off loading some items from my carry on and suitcase. I was afraid that the one filled with most of my clothes would burst at the seams.

I know that Rick thought the situation hilarious and frustrating at the same time. I had conflicting advice on how much to pack so I opted to pack more rather than less. Plus I must add in that I'm a girl who loves shoes!

After getting checked in I had a hard time making my way through security as tears were streaming down my face. I took off headed to my gate which according to "Johnson luck" was at the opposite end of the building. It took me awhile to pull it together, however as I approached my gate the tears were close to over. I'm sure I'll cry a few more before this adventure is over.

My flight from Chicago to Detroit was uneventful.

As I write this I am sitting in Detroit airport restaurant eating a burger and waiting for my flight to Shanghai. Soon enough I will be ....leaving...on a jet plane....

Here are the pics from Cordis Brothers....

The "New" Menu

The greatest ice cream martini in the world. Made by the main bartender at Cordis -- love this guy. The drink is a great way to end an evening.
John the prankster

The required "self-portrait" (Rick is a huge fan of taking these)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taking Erika to the air port was a long slow ride. when we got their I had to lug two 500 pound bags to the desk at which time she foud out she could take a third bag and proceeded make 3 333lbs bags. after we checked her bags and had a long goodbye at the security check point I stood there and watched her go through security and the walk down to her gate until I could not see her. Thats when i realized that she was really going and it really sucked.
but at least when I walked back to the car I was a thousand pound lighter.

Erika said...

I'd like to refute that comment. My bags were only 400lbs! So it wound up being 3 bags each weighing 133lbs.

In truth the luggage limit was 2 bags at 70lbs and a third bag at 40lbs.