First Dates: I have never been particularly fond of first dates. It’s all the questions that bother me. You know ones like – what to do – what to wear – what to talk about – will he like me – etc. In a sense I have unfortunately found myself back in that world. No, I am not dating guys over here but I am looking for friends. Using a listing service similar to craigslist.com I have been talking to another female expat from Australia. Well tonight we met up for coffee and it felt like a first date. As I write this I wonder…will she call or email me again?
Elevated Roads: Shanghai has a series of elevated roads. These roads are approximately 2-3 stories above street level. They are similar to an interstate (I-35 through Minneapolis) but the speed limits are “supposedly” a bit lower. I find them fascinating. It’s interesting to look at the city and all of the different office buildings from this perspective.
Flash Your Lights: Drivers in Shanghai use their high beams for a variety of reasons. From my observations if a driver flashes their lights it could mean:
1) I want to signal the car in front of me to go faster
2) I want to signal that the car next to me is edging to close to me
3) I am about to switch lanes so watch out!
I was in a cab tonight for a long ride and I think the driver flashed his lights for all three reasons I explained plus probably for a few that I didn’t catch on to.
Honking: In the past year a law was passed in Shanghai that basically says while in a car you can not honk your horn – except in an emergency. My conclusion is there must be a lot of emergencies in Shanghai as I hear a lot of honking!
Eyes Shut: Two of my friends at work in ND – I refer to them as “The Saras” because both are named Sara – have often criticized my driving. They liked when I’d offer to drive to lunch however shortly after getting in my car they’d recall they didn’t like being a passenger with me driving. I know that after moving to Chicago from ND that my driving got even worse. I often tailgate, speed and even at times find myself using my horn in a defensive manner. The drivers over here have me beat. I have had to close my eyes multiple times out of fear. Basically I’d prefer not to witness my own injury or death if an accident were to occur. I’m not sure if “The Saras” would enjoy the Shanghai style of driving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
to back up your comment that the sara's don't like your driving, I have to agree you like to brake to hard and I am a better driver Than you.
by braking hard I know I am going to stop!
Fine, I'll give you that you may be a better drive but realize that saying this means you get to do all the driving on long trips - while I sleep!
you're not a bad driver Erika - you're an aggressive driver. And as a fellow aggressive driver - you're not the nuisance on the road, it's the yahoos who don't know how to drive properly who are the nuisances.
Post a Comment