Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pearls are a girl’s best friend

The popular song proclaims that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. However as I do not plan on owning diamonds anytime soon I am proclaiming pearls to be my jewelry of choice. My choice may be influenced by the amazing pearl market here in Shanghai.

Literally there are rows upon rows of vendors set up selling freshwater pearls at extremely reasonable prices. As well they have some salt water pearls. I like these even more but unfortunately the prices are more. I have resisted buying any of these for myself.

I have purchased quite a few freshwater pearl pieces for myself and for gifts. I’ve even established a relationship with a specific vendor. When bartering she always tells me “I give you best best friend price.” The phrase alone makes me laugh. Plus I know she will always go a bit deeper in her discounts.

Use this link to see pictures of the pearl market:
http://picasaweb.google.com/esjohnson80/PearlMarket