From pearls to CDs to fake electronics to fabric to souvenirs there is a market for just about everything in Shanghai. Last weekend I experienced a new market. I ventured into the fabric market. It is three floors of small booths all selling different types of fabrics including silk, cashmere and wool. Each booth is typically staffed with a slew of sales people and at least one tailor.
I used www.shanghaiexpat.com to read up on the market and based on recommendations listed there I headed to booth #258. I was happy with what I saw so I ordered a pair of black dress pants. I brought along a pair of pants I had brought with me from the US as an example of what I wanted made.
The process was pretty painless. I picked out my fabric, handed over my sample pants along with a 100rmb deposit (another 80rmb is due upon completion) and in return got a claim check dated for one week later.
I’d like to say I am hopeful for awesome results but I know not to set my expectations too high. I’m also excited to get my sample pants back as the tailor volunteered to take in the waist for me. I go tomorrow to get my pants – I’ll keep you posted on the results.
If the tailor passes the test on the first pair of pants I will eventually have a few more pairs of pants made along with a suit and a winter dress coat. I am also eyeing up a booth that specializes in dresses. That experience may have to wait until I get a little more comfortable with the thought of striping down in a not too private location in order to be measured. :) I think I’ll get over my fear as I have truly never owned a “little black dress” and the thought of getting one brings a smile to my face.
One market experience in a weekend is never enough. So with my claim check in hand and my umbrella open – yes, it’s been raining again in Shanghai. – I headed to “Old Shanghai.”
Old Shanghai is a market built a few years back that features a lot of the trinkets and trash you’d expect as a tourist in China. The concept of an “old” village is truly tarnished by the presence of franchises like Starbucks and Hagen Daz. Somewhere in the mix of it there is supposedly a garden and a few temples. I did find one temple, but have yet to find a garden. It is a fun area to wander around if anything just for the people watching.
I topped my day of marketplace adventures off with some local cuisine from the food street in central Shanghai. It is a street only a few blocks long that features multiple storefront food vendors. The street features everything from Peking duck to octopus on a stick to juice smoothies. In my opinion some of the best dumplings can be found on this street. My advice is simple, if you see a lot of people in front of the booth its going be good.
Click here to see pictures of all the markets:
http://picasaweb.google.com/esjohnson80/MarketsFabricGifts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
ah! i see you know the secret to finding good places to eat - look for the long line of people waiting to get in. :-)
love the pictures. thanks for including pictures with most of your posts. every time i read your blog - i get HUGE stomach envy. and that's usually followed by trip to a dumpling house or dim sum. :-) so, even though you're in Shanghai, through your blog, you're helping to boost the economies of Chinese restaurants in OC.
Post a Comment