Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Visitors in Shanghai

The last few days have been a lot of fun. My neighbor’s brother was in town visiting. I did not join Pat and Tim on all of their adventures but I did tag along for a few including a dinner out to see a Chinese mask performance and a trip to the market.

Our dinner arrangements were set-up by Bella (Pat’s Chinese tutor). She wanted us to try some spicy food while enjoying what she called a Chinese opera. The food was great. I impressed myself with my chopstick skills – picking up two peanuts at once. The performance was one of the coolest things I have seen since getting here. It wasn’t so much of an opera as it was a dance that featured Chinese masks.

The dancer basically changed masks at the blink of an eye all while twirling, jumping and dancing about to some funky local music.

The weekend in all was busy and good. It was nice having someone else to bum around with and tell share stories with. As I said goodbye to Tim last night I was reminded of how limited my circle of friends and contacts are over here. The thought didn’t keep me down for long as I got an email today from my brother and he is working to stop over in Shanghai during a proposed business trip to Hong Kong this fall. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that he can make it work.


I’ve created two albums of pictures from my most recent experiences. I think I was able to even successfully post a video of the mask performance. Use these links to check out the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/esjohnson80/VisitorInShngh#
http://picasaweb.google.com/esjohnson80/ChineseOperaShngh#

2 comments:

Any said...

FYI I read your blog. Angela

Erika said...

Thanks Ang - glad to see you were able to leave me a few words for a comment :)