Sunday, August 10, 2008

Girl Down – I repeat Girl Down! LITERALLY

DISCLAIMER: READ THIS STORY AT YOUR OWN RISK. BEFORE PROCEEDING - PLEASE NOTE: ERIKA IS NO LONGER “DOWN,” SHE IS FINE AND RESTING SAFELY IN HER CHINESE HOME.

My family often uses the line “that’s Johnson Luck.” For today’s adventure I feel that sentiment sums it all up rather nicely. My morning started out like most of my weekend days – I slept in a bit and after waking up cracked a diet coke and settled down with a book to pass some time. This morning though added in to the mix was my agreement to purchase a bicycle.

My neighbor purchased a bike a few weeks ago and I finally committed to also get one. He had them all scoped out for me. At 10:00 I headed to a mall 2 miles west of my apartment. In the mall was a major sporting goods store (similar to Dick’s in the US) and across the street was a specialized Trek bike store. After scoping out the selections at both stores I opted to get an 8-speed Trek road bike.

My bike is “pimped out.” I had her customized with a headlight (aka a small flashlight) a flashing rear light, a storage back for under the seat and a rack for carding things on the back. With my backpack on my back I settled onto my bike and headed to my apartment. I immediately grabbed my school books and my neighbor and I hoped back on our bikes. My destination was my Shanghai Center for my Chinese Lesson. I arrived to class safely.

Close to the end of my lesson a thunderstorm rolled in – it was a downpour! I grabbed some dinner after class all the while keeping my fingers crossed that the rain would end. Thankfully it did. Back on the bike I headed out onto the sloppy wet streets for the 3-4 mile ride back home. In Shanghai you play a bit of a game, swapping between riding your bike on the street to on the sidewalk. At one point during my ride I was on a side/frontage road next to a bustling 6 lane road. It was one lane wide.

50 feet onto this road I could hear a car coming up behind me. I looked back and realized I had time to make it to the next side walk entrance IF I kicked it up a notch. Focused back on the road I felt my tires due a weird movement through some uneven pavement and then start to skid/plan on some of the slime* on the road. I was afraid of losing control so put the brake on a little bit. BIG MISTAKE! My back well went out from under me and before I knew it I was down on my side.

Adrenaline pumping all at the same time I jumped up, yelled out “PAT!” and looked back to realized the car had stopped a good 20 feet behind me. I fell literally right in front of the driveway entrance I was aiming to use to get onto the sidewalk. My neighbor Pat, who was about 10 feet ahead, swung back coming up beside me on the sidewalk.

Thankfully the wounds I incurred were minor – road rash and a skinned knee and elbow. I literally used the shirt off of Pat’s back to clean up my wounds. He focused on fixing my handle bars with a portable tool kit he carries. We made it back to the hotel without further incident; however, I was a nervous Nelly for the remainder of the ride.

I concluded as I rolled my bike onto the elevator to my apartment that I need to avoid driving any sort of wheeled vehicle in the rain – this is the second accident due to hydroplaning I have been involved in. Johnson Luck strikes again!

Use this link to check out pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/esjohnson80/ChinaMyBike02

4 comments:

kris said...

Great talking to you yesterday. Everytime the kids watch they Olympics, they cheer for the USA AND China because Aunt Erika is there. :)

Have a great week.

g'ville aunt said...

Your life is just so exciting and I really love your blogs and am learning so much. We have always been "hooked" on the Olympics and its neat to hear your experiences being right there. Sorry about the bike accident, but don't give up. Cheryl would tell you that you really bought a lst class bike. I'm sure you will enjoy it once you heal.

Unknown said...

Hey, Erika, its Caroline in Chicago. Rick gave me your blog info at mike and mel's wii - rockband bash. I am really enjoying following along. It sounds like you are have some great experiences, and the pics are great!!! Take care, be safe and have fun!!! It really seems AWESOME:)

Anonymous said...

Het Crash I bought you a set of training wheels for when you get home. also bought are knee and elbow pads and side and front air bags.