I had a new experience yesterday morning. In order to get to work I had to take off my shoes and socks, roll up my pants legs and wade through flood water.
Let me set the stage for my recent adventure.
Around 7:30am on Monday morning the skies over Shanghai opened up. It rained hard and fast for about 60 minutes. After that it was on and off showers for the first half of the morning.
I realized I had no chance of catching a cab due to the rain so resigned myself to walking to work. At 8:30 I stepped out of my hotel and immediately saw that there was water up past the sidewalk (3/4 of the way up a car’s wheel well). Traffic was gridlocked. I sighed to myself and decided to go back inside. I logged into my work systems from the hotel and waited for the water to recede.
At 11:30 I went back out. I had to get to the office as I had afternoon meetings scheduled.
The streets around the hotel where clear, but the closer I got to work I realized that the flooding (and traffic) was still an issue. I tried to find a different path to the office – I checked out the other side of the road, investigated walking out of my way. Any option was flooded out. With a chuckle to myself I grabbed my camera out of my backpack. I knew that this adventure required pictures.
Use this link to access my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/esjohnson80/FlashFloods
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
first reaction: GROSS!!!!!
I cannot believe you did that! Did you see other people taking their shoes/socks off to wade through water? And, if you weren't in China, but say back in Chicago - would you have taken your shoes and socks out to wade through water? Or is this event a strictly "what stays in china..." moment?
Katie - your comment literally had me laughing out loud. Yes, there were many others doing it along with me. I head stories of folk being in water up to their quads.
I at least had the sense to wait for the water to receed some....showing my american side I guess.
The funniest thing was at one point a guy on a moped offered me a lift on the back of his bike. I laughed in his face. I mean SERIOUSLY, with my history of hydroplaning - I don't think so!
Post a Comment