Friday, August 8, 2008

BeiBei, JingJing, HuanHuan, YingYing, NiNi proclaim “Let the Games Begin!”

BeiBei, JingJing, HuanHuan, YingYing, NiNi are the (rhyming) names of the 5 Olympic Mascots. These five “Fuwa” represent each of the Olympic Rings; more than that their names are supposed to evoke a sense of playfulness among a group of close friends. Also in China if a person uses a rhyming name/nickname in referring to a child it is a sign of affection. China, always big on symbolism and meaning has taken it one level deeper.

If you translate their names it roughly equals “BEIJING WELCOMES YOU!”

I thought this was a neat concept upon hearing the explanation behind their meaning and the translation of their names. I think though that the expression should be expanded to say "CHINA WELCOMES YOU". First, because there are multiple cities helping to host Olympic events; for example Soccer Matches are being held in Shanghai and Equestrian events are going on in Hong Kong. More than that though is the sense of pride that Chinese people, regardless of town, express about these games.
This sense of national pride was very evident last night during the opening ceremonies. After a great work out at the hotel gyme my neighbor and I headed out for dinner. I was craving a burger so we headed to Hooters. We were lucky to get a table as we arrived just a few minutes before the ceremonies started.

The locals (and Expats alike) all had their eyes glued to the television. The difference was during our meal Pat and I talked about a host of things. I realized that the locals hardly took their eyes off the TV, barely saying anything. When they did talk I have a feeling it was about the games.

During the ceremony even the restraunt got into the celebration. The Hooter girls proudly handed out stickers of the Chinese Flag and celebratory shots to their patrons all while singing along to the national anthem.

It was a fascinating scene to watch. I consider myself a proud supporter of the US and feel I am pretty patriotic. Regardless of this I simply can't recall every being so enamored with an Olympics hosted in the US.

I think some of what I was seeing relates directly to the Chinese culture. The Chinese want to make certain that their country is perceived well on the world stage – they don’t want to "lose face." Plus, in recent history I can’t recall China ever opening up their country (and way of life) to the world for such scrutiny, on such a large scale.

By the way….I passed on the shot BUT the cheeseburger I had was great – considering it was made in China

Use this link to check out pictures

http://picasaweb.google.com/esjohnson80/ChinaOlympicsOpen

No comments: