Friday, August 15, 2008

Its Raining, Its Pouring the Old Man is Snoring (sign with me!)

For the last two days Shanhai has been hit with sporadic thunderstorms. I should say that differently. For the last two evening Shanghai has been hit with storms. Meaning that I am trapped inside my hotel. I am going stir crazy. Who wants to be stuck inside on a Friday night.

Mind you I didn't have a lot planned, dinner out and a trip to the pearl market (more on the market later) but I had been looking forward to doing this all day. Especially, considering I had hoped to do this last night and had been washed out.

Unfortunately, shortly after I got home from work the skies opened up for the second night in a row.

So instead of buying gifts for my friends and family I am stuck eating PB&J and wathcing the olympics.

About those Olympics - while here if China is playing they are on TV. The priority is Chinese sports even if that means airing badminton over the US vs. Greece basketball game. Seriously why is badminton an Olympic sport?

Also, a lot of the events I'd have like to watch are taking place during the day. I tried to work with this by watching the videos of the event online. Unfortunately, China has a block on any type of Internet video from outside China. Grrr!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

welcome to life in a communist country.

at least the chinese stations are covering all sports. the us stations are only focusing on michael phelps. it's as though the olympics is made up of one sport - swimming. so they'll spend 3 hours on his races and then cram coverage of all of the other gazillion sports into 30 minutes.