Last Wednesday I headed to the airport with butterflies in my stomach. I was on my way to pick up Rick. I was nervous because I was worried about what his reaction would be to Shanghai/China.
I have really enjoyed my time here. That’s not to say that there haven’t been frustrating moments (there have been). It doesn’t mean that I don’t miss my family (I do!). It’s just that if I had to stay longer here in China I could do it. I’ve been able to reach a point where I could easily call it home…for awhile. So I was worried about what I would do if Rick didn’t enjoy his time in China.
The nerves I felt were a familiar feeling. I felt the same way when Kris visited me in St Petersburg Russia during my study abroad. During her visit though I think I was even more worried as I had dedicated so much of my time in school to Russia and the Russian language and I wanted someone in my family to get why I loved it so much.
Rick arrived safely in Shanghai; although I think he was almost the last person through customs. Since the moment he arrived we have been going non-stop.
After getting settled into my apartment Rick and I headed out to walk around the neighborhood. It was already dark so it was a bit hard to show off the sights.
We eventually made our way to Amy’s a place serving Sichuan style food for dinner; spicy and yummy!
I took the first four days of Rick’s vacation off of work. The first two days (last Thursday and Friday) were spent in Shanghai.
Highlight of the first few days in Shanghai:
1. Fabric Market – Rick scored a suit and cashmere over coat for $200. I also did a fair bit of shopping….I’m just fulfilling the stereotypical female role.
2. Yu’An Garden – our first chance to really barter for anything; unfortunately we had spent most of our money at the fabric market. Rick did get a gift for his niece.
3. Thanksgiving Dinner – I had made reservations for Thanksgiving dinner at an expat friendly restaurant. The meal served at the Big Bamboo was good overall; despite a poor attempt at a pumpkin pie. The disappointing pie was made up for with 2:1 Happy Hour drinks!
4. Counterfeit Market – Major purchases knock off Ugg boots and a Rolex watch
5. Jin Mao Tower – We checked out views of Shanghai from the world’s highest observation deck.
6. Dinner with the Neighbor – Rick was able to finally meet Pat (my neighbor) and his family; they were in town visiting over Thanksgiving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment