Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Majors and Minors - an Evaluation

My college diploma is stored in a box.  Somewhere.  I think.  I’ve moved 5 times in 5 years so suffice it to say it’s never been displayed on a wall or even framed.  I didn’t walk across the stage for my graduation as I was scheduled to move to Connecticut.  My diploma simply arrived in an rectangular, unmarked, unassuming envelope.  It was sent standard mail.   The University of Minnesota did not incur much of an expense in getting it to me.


I on the other hand incurred a fair amount of debt in order to earn my diploma; some of which I am still paying off.  I received not only a Bachelor’s degree but also a minor in Russian language.  At times I wonder how much each cost me.  My primary degree is put to use often.  I mean heck, I work in corporate America, have spent time in sales & marketing and still cart around crates of my old business text books.  The money I spent on my major in other words was money well spent.


My minor in Russian language however isn’t used that often. Oh, occasionally I have had to pull out a simple phrase or two. Primarily when a new friend asks “Say something in Russian?”  I usually respond with the profound “Menya zobyt Erika.  Ya liubliu Rucckye yazik.”  (Translation:  My name is Erika. I love Russian language.)


For professional purposes I have only pulled out my Russian skills twice.  Once was in 2004 at ConExpo; a construction equipment trade show held in Las Vegas.  I helped a Russian visitor to the show buy a Bobcat T-shirt in the right size.  The second time, was just last night.


Let me explain....


My work day yesterday ended early as I was invited to attend a tea and dinner with a group of our dealers and end users.  I gladly accepted but knew that my chance for conversation would be limited.  Many of these folks don’t speak English.  I made it through the first few hours by occupying one persons time.  Our conversation was very basic but at least was in English.  I walked out of the tea session for a bit as I wanted to give the person I had met the chance to escape.  I know how hard it is to speak in a language that is not your own.  He deserved a chance to speak in his own language.  When I came back to my seat there was a new group of folks across the table from me.  


I leaned back in my chair prepared simply to drink my tea and listen as I didn’t want to force English on anyone.  Quickly, my ears perked up.  I started to glance often at the group across from me.  “Did I just hear Russian?” I thought to myself.  One person in the group was obviously not Asian; so perhaps.  “No; that can’t be” I assured myself.  


As the minutes slowly ticked by I kept hearing familiar, albeit foreign, sounds.  


I started to debate in my head  “I should break out the Russian.  No I shouldn’t I’ll look like a fool.  I should. I shouldn’t!”  After about 5 minutes I couldn’t take it any longer (plus boredom was getting to me).  I made eye contact with the individual I thought could be Russian and simply asked....


“Vy Govoretye Po Rucckye?”  “Da” he responded 

(Translation:  “Do you speak Russian?”  “Yes” he answered)  


YES!!! I was right, it was Russian.  The next hour flew by as I talked to the customer from Kazakhstan.  I apologized profusely for my poor conversation skills.  I told him that it had been 6 years since I last studied.  He smiled and assured me it was okay.  I did laughingly tell him that despite the break my Russian is much better than my Chinese.


Coincidently, the tea and dinner were a pre-event to a construction trade show that started today in Shanghai.  What is it with me finding the Russians at trade shows!?


Two uses for Russian in my 5 years in corporate America.  Others might think I am not get my money’s worth out of my minor; but for me I’ll take it.  I may just even crack open my Russian textbooks when I get back home.  Yesterday’s encounter made me realize that I miss the language -- and the people.  Too bad I don’t have time to squeeze in a trip to Kazakhstan.




1 comment:

Kathryn said...

the world is flat! the world is flat! :-)

glad to see you're posting again - i missed reading it when you were back in the states. we'll have to catch up and tell me all about how everything turned out over there.