Just over 40 hours ago I walked off of flight UA #836 and into the customs area at Chicago-O’Hara airport. I WAS HOME!
Actually, I wasn’t quiet home. I still had to collect a mountain’s worth of luggage, clear customs, located my car service/driver and travel into the city. As I walked from one end of the terminal to the other I felt the stress of travel slipping off my shoulders...or was that the weight of my backpack slipping off my shoulders?! Johnson luck struck again as (like usual) my flight landed at the last possible gate in the international terminal - the furthest point from customs.
I was prepared to sail through customs. I had done this before. This time though the customs official did question my declaration form. “In 6 months you only spent $480?” I almost laughed out loud. I definitely spent more than that. I quickly explained that I had already been home once during my 6 months and brought most of my gifts/souvenirs home at that point. With that explanation the official quickly stamped my passport.
As I waited for the luggage to appear on the carousel I saw a beagle sniffing her way around all of the passengers. The image immediately brought to mind Emma Lou -- my brother’s beagle.
Ninety minutes after landing Rick and I loaded all of our bags into an Escalade care of Chicago Chauffeurs and headed into the city.
40 hours after arriving I am sitting in Caribou -- updating this blog and uploading pictures (gotta love free wi-fi). My next destination is Target. I’ve missed this MN institution. Rick doesn’t know it yet but I think I am going to spend at least an hour just wondering around.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i'm glad you're back - even though we're still in different states and can't actually see each other.
have you been able to slip right into your old routine? or do you find yourself in a period of adjustment, getting ready to a (somewhat) new routine?
Post a Comment