This morning was no different than any other work day. I grabbed a cab outside my hotel, handed over my business card and settled into the seat for my short ride to the office. Then I realized today was different. My cab ride this morning marked my last trip to the office in Shanghai. Today is my last day at work. This realization stunned me; two hours later I am still struggling with what to make of it.
How do I even begin to sum up my work experience in China? Will I ever be able to succinctly summarize my experiences in China? How do I answer the questions I know I will be asked when I get home? Ones like…
“So how was it?” or “What did you like best?” or “What did you learn?” or “What did you not like” or “What was your favorite food and what did you not eat” etc…
Hmmm….Perhaps I should make a list of answers. I am a list maker. I love lists!
Q: How was it?
A: Amazing!
Q: What did you like best?
A: The ability to get lost in a crowd all while standing out. My daily routine. Dropping 20lbs.
Q: What did you learn?
A: I learned to check my expectations at the door. I learned to simply take it all in. It was a great lesson in humility, cultural difference, etc…
Q: What did you like least?
A: The horrible air quality was really hard to deal with. Just when I thought I was used to it I think they started either burning more coal or another material. Cab drivers that (I swear) pretended not to understand me.
Q: What was your favorite food and what did you not eat?
A: I LOVE dumplings, Sichuan style food and BBQ pork steamed buns. I could not bring myself to try stinky tofu – the smell can turn my stomach. I disliked many of the cold appetizer dishes. I still do not eat fish.
I’m sure my list will grow as I experience a few more things for the last time prior to my flight out of Shanghai on Sunday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
how can people have questions about your experience? they should be reading your blog!! :-)
i can't believe how quickly the 6 months have gone by.
i am SO glad you like dumplings! the next time you're out in CA i'm going to take you to the MOST amazing dumpling house. you'll never want to leave the restaurant.
i hope you keep the blog going once you move to Fargo - i'd love to read about your daily life in ND. :-)
Post a Comment