Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ethnic Food and More Red Tape

My day ended on a perfect note. I headed out for Mexican food with my friend Nancy. Its amazing how a pitcher of sangria and fresh guacamole can change your perspective on the day. Our dinner brought a ray of sunshine to a work day that was filled with red tape.

The following is a summary of the red tape I am talking about...

At 10:30 this morning I headed to a dentist appointment. I must admit that I have a lot of anxiety about the dentist. To the extent that prior to any appointment that involves work (i.e. fill a cavity) I take a Valium. Obviously after taking these one isn't suppose to drive. To get around this I usually head to my appointment 30 minutes early, pop the pill and just relax in my car while it takes affect.

That's exactly what I was doing when I got a call at 10:45am from CIBT the company processing my visa application. They called to tell me know my application was denied and that I'd have to resubmit. Further CIBT expressed that they were not sure if I would not be able to make my departure date. Immediately my blood pressure sky rocketed - quickly circumventing the effect of the drugs.

I walked into the dentist office furiously making calls from my cell to the Bobcat office in Fargo to figure a way to handle the situation. My dentist overheard parts of the discussion.

Thankfully, my dentist agreed to reschedule my appointment in light of the visa situation (plus I am having issues with the last tooth he fixed).

I quickly headed home and began to read through all the paperwork I had either received, been copied on, submitted, etc... Thankfully I think I have found the issue.

There are multiple types of visas available for China Evidently the pre-authorization form I received (direct from China) and the cover letter from my company did not match up as they referenced different type of visas. At least that is what I hope is the issue.

After putting this together I got back in touch with the Fargo office. Deb Hanson came to the rescue again and quickly over-nighted a revised letter to me. I'll receive it tomorrow morning and as soon as I have it hand I will head to the CIBT office to resubmit my paperwork.

CIBT believes that if I get this to them by 1:00pm tomorrow that I should be able to have my visa back by July 2 -- the day before I am scheduled to depart.

If you believe in prayer I wouldn't mind if you'd send up a few thoughts asking that my second submission get approved. I've already sent a few up of my own. If not, I ask that you simply keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments: