“A picture is worth a thousand words,” proclaims many a person (and I think a Kodak ad campaign). I fully agree that images are extremely powerful. Unfortunately, there are many images that are hard to capture on film; Shanghai is no exception. While I haven’t given up on capturing some of the fleeting images that have captured my attention I want to share them in words in case I am never successful.
Pigs on a scooter: I’ve already described my running route and its many smells. It also has some unique scenery. One day, while running along I realized I need to take a quick step backward in order to avoid a collision with a scooter. While my heart beat out of my chest due to the near miss, my eyes couldn’t believe what was strapped to the back of the scooter – three butchered pigs. With their bellies slit open these pigs were truly a spectacle to see. I thought perhaps this sighting would be a onetime occurrence. Unfortunately I was wrong; I’ve seen many a scooter with pigs strapped to the back
Double Takes: I’d love to capture on film some of the looks I get when walking down the street. At times some people have just barely avoided having an accident due to looking over their shoulders and doing a double take while riding a bike. I get a lot of these looks when I am working out but even manage to get a few just during the course of normal activities (i.e. walking home from work).
Butt Cheeks: Pampers and Huggies diapers are available in China but I have to report that I don’t think they have gained wide spread acceptance. Instead, it appears that it is more popular to put your children in pants that have a split between the legs. Thus, the little ones can squat down anywhere and do their business. I can appreciate the cuteness of babies butt cheeks and even how this is a very “green” practice BUT, it is still odd to see a toddler squatting down in the middle of a sidewalk.
Darth Vader: When riding scooters many people here wear a dark sun visor and a second shirt. The shirt reminds me a bit of a painting smock. I think its worn either to prevent their clothes from getting dirty or sunburn. As these scooters speed by me on the side walk I often find myself humming the Star Wars theme song. I’m sure my nephew Cooper would love this look.
Pallet Harness: One morning while sitting outside my hotel, cooling down after a run, I saw a very strange sight. A man walking down the road, in the bike lane, had harnessed himself to a pallet on wheels. The pallet moved slowly along behind the man. I couldn’t figure out what was on the pallet – it was a mix of boxes. Immediately I had to question how this means of transport could possibly be cost effective (and efficient).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The Butt Cheeks: I doubt I'd ever get used to that. And it's not that I'm averse to seeing tushies; but I am averse to seeing what comes out of those tushies.
Just remember these experiences: you'll never experience anything like this in Fargo.
Post a Comment