Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Carbohydrates

I am jealous it’s as simple as that. Last week I watched a man over lunch bite into a crescent roll and was overwhelmed with a sense of longing. I wanted a crescent roll. I wanted more than one. I am not following a low-carb lifestyle but I am trying to watch the amount of bread and pasta I eat.

Thankfully, with training for a marathon I can allow myself a bit more leniency. I have declared Friday evenings as my pasta night. I’ve become a big fan of ravioli from the grocery store’s refrigerated case. Although I’ve allowed room for pasta I haven’t made room for bread. My refrigerator offers up two options - light wheat bread or multigrain English Muffins. Not the most exciting bread options.

See the thing is that if I allowed myself crescent rolls it would lead to hard sandwich rolls and bagels and breadsticks and cinnamon rolls. The whole situation would just snowball. The starchy goodness of it all would do me in….Despite recognizing this I can’t help my longing.

No comments: