Thursday, March 26, 2009

Red River Rising

The Red River of the North is predicted to crest in Fargo on Saturday between 41-42' this is a level never seen before.  In 1997 it hit around 39.5'   I have heard that back in 1875 it hi 41.1'    

The city does have dikes built to withstand a high level of water but simply not this high!  

The community is really rallying in coming together to take care of our own.  The biggest task has been to build the dikes up and to reinforce them.  

I unfortunately have a bad back so can't go throw sandbags.  I have tried to get in with some of the meal/sandwich making crews but have been told the spots are full.  Its easy to imagine them having enough as just today the city put out a "Code Red" for volunteers for sandbagging and over 6,000 people showed up.  I plan to keep trying to help and likely will give filling and placing sandbags a go this weekend.  In the meantime I am sending my prayers up to heaven and am thankful I work for a company that can provide some much needed equipment to help the city with this fight.

As I write this I am watching a live feed of the Fargo City council on ABC.  It is crazy the plans that are being made including the mandatory evacuation, shutting down on roads, building of secondary dikes, etc.  

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

we're thinking about you. stay safe.