Sunday, February 22, 2009

Double Digits

In elementary school each year we had to complete the President's Fitness Test.  It was comprised of doing sit-ups, pull-ups, the sit and reach and a one mile run.  I didn't mind doing most of the tests -- except the run.  I hated running.  I was a chubby kid growing up and whenever I ran I was even more aware of how my weight made me different from other kids.  I simply couldn't run for long or at that fast of a pace.  I was always at the back of the pack.  Typically it'd take me between 14-15 minutes to get done with one mile.  

Flash forward to the current day and my running skills haven't improved that much.  I still can be found at the back of the pack.  I run at what some would call a snails pace.  But for me I can at least say that I can run a mile in a slightly faster time that I did in elementary.  I'm down to 12 minute miles.  Even though I've made some improvements I don't consider myself a runner.  I'm not sure when I will cross over that line.  I think I came a step closer to crossing over the line this weekend.  

On Saturday I did my first ever double digit run.  I logged 10 miles. I ran 9.6 of it and worked in a few short walking breaks equaling .4 miles.  At times during my two hour run I was cursing my decision to train for the Fargo Marathon.  However, once I was done with my miles I felt great.  Ok, thats a bit of a lie.  I did enjoy a "runners high" but my knees were definitely feeling some pain.

My training is on track for a good run in May.  Before that Fargo event I will be traveling to run a half marathon in Albany Georgia.  The half marathon is in two weeks time and it fits in perfectly with my training plan. The race also allows me a chance to meet up with Pat my neighbor from China.  He will be running the full marathon in Albany.  

1 comment:

Sean said...

Way to go! Keep on putting in those miles.

It won't be long before a 10-miler sounds like an "intermediate" run to you.