Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I’m Not in Kansas (I mean North Dakota) Anymore

Today at work a co-worker jokingly asked me if I could say a few words to see if my accent changed. A smile quickly came to my face and I reassured him that there was nothing to worry about. I only spent 5 days in Boston and it would take many more days to change my midwest accent.

The 5 days I spent in Boston were great. I enjoyed getting out of Fargo for a much needed break.

I headed out to of town not just for vacation but to also to cheer on two friends (Pat and Bill) that qualified to run the Boston marathon.

I arrived on Thursday and was greeted by my friend Jerry at Logan International's baggage claim. As we put my bags in the trunk of his car Jerry asked if I was ready to get dinner. I was actually more interested in enjoying my first drink of my vacation but I also agreed to get dinner. Jerry brought me to RF O’Sullivans to have what he described as a “Great Fucking Burger.” I can confirm that his description was very apt. The beer I drank was equally as good!

Pat and Bill and their respective family members all arrived in town on Friday. The next 48 hours was full of activity. Including a tour of the Sam Adams Brewery, visiting the Race Expo, a trip to scope out the start line and some of the race route, a bbq at the Residence Inn, and a TON of laughs!

In the midst of the activity I also learned that my cousin Cheryl was in town to run the marathon.

On Sunday evening Jerry and his wife Michelle opened up their home to my strange grouping of friends and relatives and prepared for us a great pre-race Pasta dinner. I had a blast helping put the dinner together. I learned how to make Chicken Marsala and Alfredo. Butter is definitely the most important ingredient in both dishes.

The night was made complete with great conversation, amazing wine and a wonderful Tiramisu cake (YUM!).

Race day brought clear skies, cool temps and a bit of wind; great weather for a race. I drove our runners to the starting line and wished them luck. From there those of thus in town to cheer on the runners headed to downtown Boston to stake out a spot near the finish line.

At 10:00 on Monday Morning (Patriots Day) the race began. At 10:30 the second wave of runners took off. This wave included Bill, Pat and Cheryl. Roughly 3 hrs 49 minutes later Bill and Pat crossed the finish line. 10 minutes after that Cheryl crossed the line.

I joined Pat and his family for a post-race meal to celebrate his accomplishment. Along with celebrating I got to enjoy another great burger but this time from the Boston Burger Company.

On Monday evening I spent my last few hours in Boston with Jerry and his family. We laughed over both old memories and newly created memories. It was a great way to end my vacation.

(Special Note: I was reminded by both friends and family over this past weekend that I have to do better at maintaining my blog. Thanks for the reminders. I promise to try my best at updating on a more regular basis.)

No comments: